Lime Angel Food Cake
It's fun to start with a purchased angel food cake and turn out a pretty and special dessert. A lovely lime cream frosting is the key to this dressy, flavorful creation. It went over big at my husband's family reunion.
12 ServingsPrep: 20 min. + chilling Cook: 15 min. + chilling
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 6 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 prepared angel food cake (8 to 10 ounces)
- 1 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- In the top of a double boiler, beat eggs and yolks. Stir in 1/2 cup
- sugar, lime juice and peel. Cook over simmering water while
- gradually whisking in butter. Cook and stir until mixture is
- thickened and reaches 160°. Strain; refrigerate until completely
- In a small bowl, beat cream and vanilla until stiff peaks form;
- gradually beat in remaining sugar. Gently fold into lime mixture.
- Split cake horizontally into three layers. Place bottom layer on a
- serving plate. Spread with 2/3 cup lime mixture. Repeat. Place top
- layer on cake. Frost top and sides with remaining lime mixture.
- Sprinkle with coconut. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before