Lime Angel Food Cake Recipe
It's fun to start with a purchased angel food cake and turn out a pretty and special dessert. A lovely lime cream frosting is the key to this dressy, flavorful creation. It went over big at my husband's family reunion.
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 6 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 prepared angel food cake (8 to 10 ounces)
- 1 cup flaked coconut, toasted
- 1. In the top of a double boiler, beat eggs and yolks. Stir in 1/2 cup sugar, lime juice and peel. Cook over simmering water while gradually whisking in butter. Cook and stir until mixture is thickened and reaches 160°. Strain; refrigerate until completely cool.
- 2. In a small bowl, beat cream and vanilla until stiff peaks form; gradually beat in remaining sugar. Gently fold into lime mixture.
- 3. Split cake horizontally into three layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate. Spread with 2/3 cup lime mixture. Repeat. Place top layer on cake. Frost top and sides with remaining lime mixture. Sprinkle with coconut. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before slicing. Yield: 12 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC