- 4 egg whites
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons gin
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lime peel
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 package (14 ounces) flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces white baking chocolate, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, whisk the first six ingredients until blended. In a large bowl, toss coconut with flour; stir in egg white mixture.
- Drop by tablespoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake 15-18 minutes or until tops are light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- Dip bottoms of macaroons into melted chocolate, allowing excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. Store in an airtight container. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Lime & Gin Coconut Macaroons
"These are very good. I did add a little lime juice after reading some comments, about 1 TBL. and I think next time I will up the gin to 1/4 cup. The coconut I use is unsweetened and drier, so the added moisture will be fine. I have to admit, I haven't bothered with the white chocolate."
"Easy to make, taste good, and look nice. I feel like there could be more flavor to the coconut, the grated lime doesn't really stand out. I added in more on the top before putting them into the oven, but I feel like I may add lime juice to the egg white mixture next time. (but keeping in mind I used Sugar in the Raw. So that may be why.)"
"I made these cookies this weekend because I thought the ingredients seemed interesting. These are some of the best cookies I've ever had. Very easy to make also. This recipe is a keeper."
"You can use any kind of gin you wish or just leave it out all together. But really love these cookies"
"Can someone please tell me what type of gin is best to use for this?"