Lima Bean Soup Recipe
Each fall there's a Lima Bean Festival in nearby West Cape May to honor the many growers there and showcase different recipes using their crop. This comforting chowder was a festival recipe contest winner several years ago. —Kathleen Olsack, North Cape May, New Jersey
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cans (15-1/4 ounces each) lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 small sweet red peppers, chopped
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the first 12 ingredients; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-35 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- 2. Add cream; heat through but do not boil. Sprinkle with bacon just before serving. Yield: 10-12 servings (3 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 110 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 431 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Lima Bean Soup
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC