- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) chicken broth
- 2 cans (15-1/4 ounces each) lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 small sweet red peppers, chopped
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the first 12 ingredients; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-35 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add cream; heat through but do not boil. Sprinkle with bacon just before serving. Yield: 10-12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Lima Bean Soup
Sort By :
"Nice change to regular vegetable soup."
"I used a one pound bag of frozen lima beans and used 5 strips of bacon. I liked the soup because it was flavorful and filling and, best of all, low in calories, fat and carbs. While it was tasty I don't think my husband is going to be a fan of this recipe. I did use fat free half-and-half; not sure whether that negatively impacted the overall taste. Perhaps sliced kielbasa and garlic, as one other reviewer added, would give this more of a "Wow" factor. It's a keeper of a recipe because it's so healthy but it isn't at the top of our list of favorite soups."
"Very good, and different. Used a pound bag of frozen baby limas and sliced in some high end smoked sausage in bite sized slices-- put all in electric pressure cooker on low pressure for 14 minutes, natural pressure release. Added cream after cooking and it was perfect."
"I made this for my kids because some love lima beans and one does not. Everyone loved it and the one who does not like lima beans asked for seconds! It was a household pleaser.....they asked for it again 7 days later. I added some ham and garlic to mine. Next I am going to put some polish sausage. Awesome! Definatley, even better the next day."
"This soup was fantastic. I did not add the cream or bacon. I did add turkey kielbasa cut up and some garlic. Other wise everything was the same."