Lima Bean Okra Soup Recipe
This soup's unique flavor comes from the wonderful combination of allspice, okra, tomatoes, corn, pepper and cloves. Every serving is loaded with nutrition and color.—Clara Coulston, Washington Court House, Ohio
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min. YIELD:7 servings
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 3 cups chopped tomatoes
- 2-1/2 cups sliced fresh or frozen okra, thawed
- 1 cup frozen lima beans, thawed
- 1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the green pepper, onion and cloves in butter until vegetables are tender. Discard cloves.
- 2. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until beans are tender. Yield: 7 servings.
1 cup equals 96 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 4 mg cholesterol, 601 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC