Lima Bean Medley
Here's a tasty medley of beans and veggies that harmonizes perfectly with healthy meal plans. Dianne Spurgeon of London, Ontario shared the recipe. Her mildly spice succotash makes a colorful side that goes well with many main dishes.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh or frozen lima beans
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1/2 cup minced fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the green pepper and onion in oil
- until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add tomatoes. Reduce
- heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Add lima beans and corn; cover and simmer 10 minutes longer or until
- vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in the basil,
- salt and pepper. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (3/4 cup) equals 145 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 370 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 5 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch, 1/2 fat.