Fresh lilacs are a great addition to these crepes. They add beautiful color and will impress any guest. Make these in the spring when lilacs are in bloom.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
Featured In: Dessert Crepes Recipes
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Softened butter
- CREAM FILLING:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1 cup individual lilac blossoms, stems removed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/2 cup individual lilac blossoms, stems removed
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh or frozen blueberries
- Candied Lilacs
- In a bowl, whisk eggs, milk, sugar and salt. Add flour; beat until smooth. Melt 1 teaspoon butter in an 8-in. nonstick skillet. Pour 2 tablespoons bater into center of skillet; lift and turn pan to cover bottom. Cook until lightly browned; turn and brown the other side. Remove to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter, adding butter to skillet as needed. When cool, stack crepes with waxed paper or paper towels in between.
- For filling, combine sugar and flour in a heavy saucepan; stir in cream until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Stir 1/2 cup hot mixture into eggs; return all to pan. Cook and stir over low heat for 2-3 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly (do not boil). Stir in butter, vanilla and nutmeg. Cool for 15 minutes. Cover and refrigerate. Fold lilacs into filling just before assembling crepes.
- For syrup, combine sugar, cornstarch and water in a saucepan until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat for 1 minute. Add lilacs and blueberries; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Strain syrup, discarding lilacs and blueberries (do not press flowers or fruit. Spoon syrup onto plates. Fill crepes with cream filling; roll up. Place crepes over syrup. Garnish with Candied Lilacs. Yield: 16 crepes.
Originally published as Lilac Cream Crepes in Birds & Blooms April/May 2000, p55
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lilac Cream Crepes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review