Fresh lilacs are a great addition to these crepes. They add beautiful color and will impress any guest. Make these in the spring when lilacs are in bloom.—Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
- 4 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- Softened butter
- CREAM FILLING:
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 1 cup individual lilac blossoms, stems removed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1-1/2 cup individual lilac blossoms, stems removed
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fresh or frozen blueberries
- Candied Lilacs
- In a bowl, whisk eggs, milk, sugar and salt. Add flour; beat until smooth. Melt 1 teaspoon butter in an 8-in. nonstick skillet. Pour 2 tablespoons bater into center of skillet; lift and turn pan to cover bottom. Cook until lightly browned; turn and brown the other side. Remove to a wire rack. Repeat with remaining batter, adding butter to skillet as needed. When cool, stack crepes with waxed paper or paper towels in between.
- For filling, combine sugar and flour in a heavy saucepan; stir in cream until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Stir 1/2 cup hot mixture into eggs; return all to pan. Cook and stir over low heat for 2-3 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly (do not boil). Stir in butter, vanilla and nutmeg. Cool for 15 minutes. Cover and refrigerate. Fold lilacs into filling just before assembling crepes.
- For syrup, combine sugar, cornstarch and water in a saucepan until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat for 1 minute. Add lilacs and blueberries; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Strain syrup, discarding lilacs and blueberries (do not press flowers or fruit. Spoon syrup onto plates. Fill crepes with cream filling; roll up. Place crepes over syrup. Garnish with Candied Lilacs. Yield: 16 crepes.
Originally published as Lilac Cream Crepes in Birds & Blooms April/May 2000, p55
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lilac Cream Crepes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review