- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2/3 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- In a large bowl, whisk egg and milk. Stir in the cheese, oats, onion and salt. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into eight loaves; place in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. In a small bowl, combine the ketchup, brown sugar and mustard; spoon over loaves.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until no pink remains and a meat thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Lil Cheddar Meat Loaves
"Pretty good. I didnt add any brown sugar or onions because I didn't have any. And i had to use bread crumbs instead of oats but it was still great!!"
"My husband especially enjoys these moist tasty meat loaves. I often make these and freeze them when they cool."
"These are the best! Just had them last night for dinner. The only change (because of preference) is using a small can of tomato paste instead of ketchup. Started making these in 2000 when they were in the annual TOH book. My son would say if he was ever on death row and had to choose his last meal, it would be these. I promised him I would make them whenever he wanted so he wouldn't have to commit a crime to have them for dinner!"
"Love this meatloaf recipe. Been making it for years now. Thanks for sharing the recipe!"
"We have been making cheddar loaves twice a month since the recipe first appeared in 1999. I like to add dry minced onion to the topping and a little Worcestershire, sometimes I make the loaves around a cube of sharp cheddar instead of grated because some of the grated cheese cooks out."
"No question about it, this is a great meatloaf recipe! Made according to directions. The mini idea made these cute and easy serving. In our opinion you could make half the sauce and still be delicious! As a volunteer field editor with Taste of Home I love preparing classic dishes with a new twist."
"These little meatloaves are tender and tasty. The sauce is sweet, which my kids love. I do wish I could have tasted the cheddar because I love cheese."
"My daughter said that this was her favorite meatloaf recipe. Sauce tasted great, and I love that this bakes much faster than a whole meatloaf."
"Easy and delish. The kids loved them too!"
"This is a wonderful recipe. I also added some horseradish for a little zing"