- 4 medium peaches, peeled and sliced or 1 package (16 ounces) frozen unsweetened sliced peaches, thawed
- 1-1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 4 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- In a food processor, combine peaches and 3/4 cup sugar; cover and process until pureed. Set aside. In a small microwave-safe bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let stand for 1 minute. Microwave on high for 20 seconds; stir. Let stand until gelatin is completely dissolved.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat cream to 175°; stir in remaining sugar until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon. Remove from the heat; stir in the peach puree, gelatin mixture and extracts until blended. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes.
- Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 2-1/2 quarts.
Originally published as Peach Ice Cream in Country Woman June/July 2009, p42
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lighter Peach Ice Cream
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review