Lighter Mushroom Barley Soup Recipe
"This soup is a variation on one I found years ago in a health cookbook," says Laura Christensen from Bountiful, Utah. "It tastes so good, no one can believe how low in fat and salt it is! We love it served in a bread bowl...or with oven-fresh corn muffins on the side."
- 6 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 5 cups water, divided
- 4 cups cooked medium pearl barley
- 4 cups beef broth
- 4 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt-free seasoning blend
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1. In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine the mushrooms, onions, celery, carrots and 1 cup water. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until vegetables are tender. Add the remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour. Yield: 10 servings.
1-1/2 cup: 119 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 722mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1 starch.
Reviews for Lighter Mushroom Barley Soup
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC