Lighter Cookie Cutouts Recipe
These simple cookie cutouts are so light and easy, you'll want to bake up several batches to decorate in different ways. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 5 min./batch YIELD:24 servings
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- FOR VARIATIONS:
- Yellow and red food coloring
- Beaten egg white
- Popsicle or lollipop sticks
- 1. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add egg, oil and vanilla. Combine the flour, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- 2. Divide dough in half. On a lightly floured surface, roll one portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. ghost-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Repeat.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 5-7 minutes or until set. Cool for 1 minute before removing from pans to wire racks. Decorate as desired. Yield: 2 dozen.
1 cookie equals 92 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 49 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1/2 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC