Lighter Chicken Parmigiana Recipe
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 jar (26 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, grated Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and salt. In another bowl, beat egg substitute. Dip chicken in egg substitute, then roll in crumbs. Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 2. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 10 minutes. Turn chicken; bake for 10 minutes. Pour spaghetti sauce over chicken; bake for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with cheeses; bake 10 minutes longer or until chicken juices run clear. Yield: 4 servings.
One serving equals 412 calories, 15 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 88 mg cholesterol, 1,420 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 37 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch, 1/2 fat.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.