A nicely seasoned breading coats the tender chicken breasts in this attractive entree. When I have extra time, I make my own herbed tomato sauce instead of using prepared spaghetti sauce. —Rhonda Schiel of Magnolia, Texas
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 jar (26 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a shallow bowl, combine the bread crumbs, grated Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and salt. In another bowl, beat egg substitute. Dip chicken in egg substitute, then roll in crumbs. Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 10 minutes. Turn chicken; bake for 10 minutes. Pour spaghetti sauce over chicken; bake for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with cheeses; bake 10 minutes longer or until chicken juices run clear. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Chicken Parmigiana in Light & Tasty October/November 2001, p31
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Lighter Chicken Parmigiana
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review