Lighter Boston Cream Pie Recipe
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1-1/4 cups cold fat-free milk
- 1 package (1 ounce) sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- 1. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs; mix well. Beat in applesauce and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with milk until blended.
- 2. Coat two 9-in. round baking pans with cooking spray and sprinkle with flour; add batter. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- 3. For filling, in a small bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes (mixture will be thick). Place one cake layer on a serving plate; top with filling and remaining cake layer.
- 4. For glaze, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, cocoa and vanilla. Add enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Spread over top of cake, allowing some glaze to drape down the sides. Yield: 12 servings.
1 slice equals 275 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 50 mg cholesterol, 345 mg sodium, 50 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 5 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.