“This is my lighter version of a Boston cream pie cake. Both the glaze and the filling are fat-free. This is a dessert you'll be pleased to serve on your holiday table.” Nancy Zimmerman - Cape May Court House, New Jersey
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1-1/4 cups cold fat-free milk
- 1 package (1 ounce) sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons fat-free milk
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until crumbly, about 2 minutes. Add eggs; mix well. Beat in applesauce and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; add to butter mixture alternately with milk until blended.
- Coat two 9-in. round baking pans with cooking spray and sprinkle with flour; add batter. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a small bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes (mixture will be thick). Place one cake layer on a serving plate; top with filling and remaining cake layer.
- For glaze, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, cocoa and vanilla. Add enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Spread over top of cake, allowing some glaze to drape down the sides. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Boston Cream Pie in Healthy Cooking October/November 2008, p42
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Lighter Boston Cream Pie
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review