Lighter Blueberry French Toast Recipe
The original recipe for this French toast called for heavy cream and whole eggs, but Nancy Argo of Uniontown, Ohio joined with our Test Kitchen to lighten it up and still keep the delicious taste.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and allspice; stir in water until smooth. Add blueberries; mix well. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat the egg substitute, milk, vanilla and salt. Dip each slice of bread into egg mixture; arrange slices over berries.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until toast is golden brown and blueberries are bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
2 slices with about 1/2 cup blueberries equals 285 calories, 2 g fat (trace saturated fat), 1 mg cholesterol, 575 mg sodium, 58 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 10 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC