- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 12 slices French bread (1 inch thick)
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and allspice; stir in water until smooth. Add blueberries; mix well. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg substitute, milk, vanilla and salt. Dip each slice of bread into egg mixture; arrange slices over berries.
- Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until toast is golden brown and blueberries are bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Lighter Blueberry French Toast
"Yum! Got rave reviews!~ Theresa"
"This was so good! I made the sauce in a separate pan-same ingredients just cooked it on the stove. Same with the french toast. I was concerned about sogginess, plus I have one child that dislikes blueberries so this gave her an opportunity to eat the french toast with syrup. I also used 4 eggs in place of the egg substitute and about half the amount of blueberries. So delicious!"
"This was fantastic and I'm not a french toast fan (there's something about soggy bread that turns me off). We store our bread in the freezer and I did not thaw the loaf before using it. I think that helped it be a little less soggy. I had some extra pieces of bread that would not fit in the pan, so I cooked them on the stovetop and reserved some of the blueberry syrup from the pan for leftovers tomorrow."
"wow says it all"
"This was easy and delicious. I made it for Father's Day and it was a big hit with everyone. I used blackberries instead of blueberries because I had some in the freezer and they were very good."
"This recipe was a big hit with my son and daughter-in-law when they visited. They are both great cooks, so I'm always looking for delicious breakfast food for them."
"This was not very good. The bottom of the bread remained very soggy and never seemed like it ever cooked. Maybe turning the bread over after one side is done would help?? The blueberry sauce is good, but other than that my husband and I will not be making this again."
"This is fabulous! Everyone loved it. I didn't have egg substitute on hand and used regular eggs, so not quite as healthy, but quite delicious (and easy to make)"