This cream cheese banana bread has lots of banana flavor and a nutty texture. And with help from our pros, now it’s lighter, too! Beverly Sprague — Baltimore, MD
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup chopped pecans, divided
- ORANGE GLAZE:
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and sugar until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in bananas and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture just until moistened. Fold in 1/2 cup pecans.
- Transfer to two 8x4-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining pecans. Bake 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- In a small bowl, whisk glaze ingredients; drizzle over loaves. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
Originally published as Lightened-Up Special Banana Bread in Simple & Delicious January/February 2010, p46
Reviews for Lightened-Up Special Banana Bread
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review