Lightened-Up Pasta Fagioli Soup Recipe
After trying pasta fagioli at a popular restaurant, I was determined to make it at home, only healthier. It turns out mine was a big hit! Loaded with veggies, it is such a simple way to boost nutrition and fiber at mealtime. —Cindie Kitchin, Grants Pass, Oregon
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 40 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 cups water
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (8 ounces each) no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 cup fresh or frozen cut green beans (1-inch pieces)
- 1/2 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1. In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, cook the turkey, onion, celery and carrots over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the water, beans, tomato sauce, tomatoes, parsley, bouillon, oregano, basil and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- 2. Add the cabbage, green beans and macaroni; cover and simmer 8-10 minutes longer or until the vegetables and macaroni are tender. Yield: 6 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
1-1/2 cups equals 276 calories, 7 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 60 mg cholesterol, 379 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 21 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 lean meat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC