- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces smoked turkey sausage, sliced
- 1 cup frozen sliced okra
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound uncooked Daily Chef Uncooked Medium Shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup cubed cooked chicken breast
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook and stir flour for 6-7 minutes or until light brown in color. Immediately transfer to a small bowl; whisk in broth until smooth.
- In the same skillet, saute the onion, celery and green pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir flour mixture; add to the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the sausage, okra, bay leaves, Creole seasoning, salt and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 4-5 minutes or until okra is tender. Stir in shrimp and chicken. Cook and stir 5-6 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Discard bay leaves. Serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Lightened-Up Gumbo(3)
Sort By :
I thought this was very good. I too like not adding butter to make a roux. The flavors taste even better the next day after they have had time to "mix with each other." Also, the creole seasoning I used had a bit more heat the next day. Will be making again.
My family thought this was just okay. It needed more flavor or something. Basically all you tasted was cajun seasoning. I probably won't make this again.
great recipe, i let it sit a little while longer to let all the flavors combine. love that i didnt have to use butter for the roux, thank you for sharing!
More Recipe Collections
- Cajun Dinner Recipes >
- Cajun Recipes >
- Chicken Breast Recipes >
- Chicken Dinner Recipes >
- Chicken Main Dishes >
- Chicken Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Mardi Gras Dinner Recipes >
- Mardi Gras Recipes >