Lightened-Up Fudgy Brownies Recipe
Almond extract enhances these chocolaty treats without adding calories. “These lightened brownies are fudgy and delicious–no one will realize they’re lower in fat,” says Margaret Wilson of Hemet, California.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling YIELD:12 servings
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, cook and stir the butter and chocolate until melted. Remove from the heat; stir in sugar until blended. Cool for 10 minutes.
- 2. Combine the egg whites, egg and extract; stir into chocolate mixture until blended. Combine the flour, cocoa and baking powder; gradually stir into chocolate mixture until blended.
- 3. Transfer to a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with moist crumbs (do not overbake). Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 brownie equals 205 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 75 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC