Lightened-Up Fudgy Brownies Recipe
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, cook and stir the butter and chocolate until melted. Remove from the heat; stir in sugar until blended. Cool for 10 minutes.
- 2. Combine the egg whites, egg and extract; stir into chocolate mixture until blended. Combine the flour, cocoa and baking powder; gradually stir into chocolate mixture until blended.
- 3. Transfer to a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with moist crumbs (do not overbake). Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 1 dozen.
1 each: 205 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 75mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
Reviews for Lightened-Up Fudgy Brownies
"Unsweetened baking chocolate (Bakers)"
"Why is this in the diabetic recipes category? And by what criteria does this rate a healthy heart rating? I don't get it."
"I think the recipe means stir the butter and unsweetened chocolate."
"Re the Fudgy Brownies...the direction say '...over medium heat, stir the butter and chocolate until melted.' What chocolate? I'm assuming chocolate morsels, right? How much...it's not listed under ingredients. Can you use the sugar substitute in place of regular sugar in the recipe?marybeth"