Almond extract enhances these chocolaty treats without adding calories. “These lightened brownies are fudgy and delicious–no one will realize they’re lower in fat,” says Margaret Wilson of Hemet, California.
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 3 egg whites
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, cook and stir the butter and chocolate until melted. Remove from the heat; stir in sugar until blended. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Combine the egg whites, egg and extract; stir into chocolate mixture until blended. Combine the flour, cocoa and baking powder; gradually stir into chocolate mixture until blended.
- Transfer to a 9-in. square baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with moist crumbs (do not overbake). Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Fudgy Brownies in Light & Tasty August/September 2007, p50
Reviews for Lightened-Up Fudgy Brownies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review