Light Wheat Bread Recipe
I bake twice a week because my family loves it. But I wanted a simple, foolproof recipe. After experimenting with several, I came up with this light-colored wheat bread, and my husband and children always want more. -Holly Shirk, Grantville, Pennsylvania
- 4 to 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, sugar, salt and yeast. In a saucepan, heat water and butter to 120°-130°. Add to the dry ingredients; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a stiff dough.
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Cover and let rest for 20 minutes.
- 3. Divide dough in half; shape into loaves. Place in two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Cover and refrigerate for up to 12 hours.
- 4. Remove from the refrigerator; let stand in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- 5. Bake at 400° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 loaves (12 slices each).
1 slice: 92 calories, 1g fat (0g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 152mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Reviews for Light Wheat Bread
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC