Light Sweet Potato Pie
Take a bite of this classic Southern dessert and you'll never guess it's been lightened up. The pleasing pie gets great fall flavor from a hint of pumpkin spice. Test Kitchen
8 ServingsPrep: 1 hour 20 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 3 medium)
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1 unbaked pastry shell (9 inches)
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat whipped topping
- Bake sweet potatoes at 350° for 1 hour or until very soft. Cool
- slightly. Cut potatoes in half; scoop out the pulp and discard
- shells. Place pulp in a food processor or blender; cover and process
- until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine the pulp, brown sugar, flour, orange peel,
- pumpkin pie spice, vanilla and salt. Stir in milk and egg substitute
- until well blended. Pour into pastry shell.
- Bake at 375° for 45-50 minutes or until a knife inserted near the
- center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack for 2 hours. Garnish
- with whipped topping. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.