Light Southwest Beef Stew Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds beef top round steak, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) beef broth
- 1 cup cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepepr
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1. In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, brown meat on all sides over medium-high heat. Add the broth, potatoes, carrots, onion, red pepper, jalapeno, garlic, chili powder and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are tender. Add tomatoes; cover and cook 1 hour longer or until meat is tender.
- 2. Combine flour and water until smooth; stir into pot. Stir in cilantro. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 6 servings.
One serving (1 cup) equals 222 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 72 mg cholesterol, 600 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 26 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1/2 starch.