"I adapted this recipe by substituting fresh lemon juice for olive oil—cutting the fat, but not the flavor," says Cynthia Nardi from Uhrichsville, Ohio. "
5 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 5 min.
- 4 ounces Romano cheese, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 6 garlic cloves
- 2-2/3 cups loosely packed fresh basil
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a food processor, combine Romano cheese and garlic; cover and
- process for 30 seconds. Add the basil, nuts, salt and pepper; cover
- and process until combined, about 15 seconds. While processing, add
- the lemon juice; process about 15 seconds longer or until combined.
- Toss the spaghetti. Yield: 5 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1/4 cup pesto) equals 155 calories, 11 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 626 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 9 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fat, 1 vegetable.