When her mom was told to avoid sugar and fats, Annette Abbott got busy in Charlotte, North Carolina and whipped up this light, delectable dessert. “Mom loves indulging her sweet tooth while following doctor’s orders,” she laughs.
Recommended: 25 Light Chocolate Dessert Recipes
- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 1 cup water
- 3 eggs
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup cold fat-free milk
- 1 package (1.4 ounces) sugar-free instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat creamy peanut butter
- 1 carton (8 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, water, eggs and applesauce. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Transfer to a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Immediately drop small amounts of peanut butter over hot cake; return to the oven for 1 minute. Carefully spread peanut butter over cake. Cool on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 1 minute. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and peanut butter until smooth. Gradually beat in pudding. Beat in half of the whipped topping; fold in remaining whipped topping. Frost cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 18 servings.
Originally published as Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake in Light & Tasty December/January 2007, p22
Reviews for Light Peanut Butter Chocolate Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 22, 2010
"It truly is as delicious as it looks in the picture. You would never know the health value of this cake if you didn't make it yourself. Taste wonderful! Easy to make!"
Reviewed Sep. 9, 2009