Light Mocha Cake Recipe
- 3 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons coffee liqueur, divided
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- 3 to 4 teaspoons coffee liqueur
- 1. In a small bowl, dissolve coffee granules in boiling water. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, buttermilk, 1/2 cup coffee liqueur, oil, vanilla and coffee mixture until well blended. Combine the dry ingredients; gradually beat into egg mixture until blended.
- 2. Coat a 10-in. fluted tube pan with cooking spray and sprinkle with flour; add batter. Bake at 325° for 40-48 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Cool 15 minutes longer; brush with remaining coffee liqueur. Cool completely.
- 3. In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate with milk; stir until smooth. Stir in enough coffee liqueur to achieve a spreading consistency. Spread over top of cake. Yield: 16 servings.
1 slice: 224 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 286mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Light Mocha Cake
"made individual bundts, very dressy, but texture coarse, a bit heavy. Had to make 3x as much icing to cover all the little cakes. Going to tinker with it to see if i can get the texture lighter."
"Not great, tough cake."
"Texture and flavor were very pleasing. I used 2 eggs and 2 substitute liquid eggs to also reduce the cholestrol a bit."
"Very rich...family loved it."
"very good and i well be making it again for my reunion the 21."
"This looks really really good by looking at it and reading the ingredient list. However, I do not want alcohol in my home. When you said kahlua"
"I brought it to a party and everyone raved about it! Very moist and fairly easy to make. There was none left!!"