This decadent chocolate cake from our Test Kitchen is flavored with cinnamon, coffee and Kahlua, then topped with a rich, fudgy frosting. Hard to believe something so delectable is actually light!
- 3 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 2 tablespoons boiling water
- 4 eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons coffee liqueur, divided
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- 3 to 4 teaspoons coffee liqueur
- In a small bowl, dissolve coffee granules in boiling water. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, buttermilk, 1/2 cup coffee liqueur, oil, vanilla and coffee mixture until well blended. Combine the dry ingredients; gradually beat into egg mixture until blended.
- Coat a 10-in. fluted tube pan with cooking spray and sprinkle with flour; add batter. Bake at 325° for 40-48 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Cool 15 minutes longer; brush with remaining coffee liqueur. Cool completely.
- In a small microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate with milk; stir until smooth. Stir in enough coffee liqueur to achieve a spreading consistency. Spread over top of cake. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Rich Mocha Cake in Healthy Cooking April/May 2008, p27
Reviews for Light Mocha Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review