A healthy layered casserole using whole wheat tortillas, lean beef and more veggies than traditional recipes. —Healthy Cooking Test Kitchen
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef (95% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon hot chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 4 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes, optional
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Stir in the water, flour, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, coriander and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until thickened.
- In a small bowl, combine beans and salsa. Place two tortillas in a round 2-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with half of the beef mixture, bean mixture and corn; repeat layers. Top with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Serve with lettuce and tomatoes if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Light Mexican Casserole in Healthy Cooking February/March 2012, p25
Reviews for Light Mexican Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review