- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef (95% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon hot chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 4 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes, optional
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Stir in the water, flour, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, coriander and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until thickened.
- In a small bowl, combine beans and salsa. Place two tortillas in a round 2-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with half of the beef mixture, bean mixture and corn; repeat layers. Top with cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Serve with lettuce and tomatoes if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Light Mexican Casserole(11)
Sort By :
This recipe is a winner! Easy to make and very tasty. We will be making this again, very soon.
My family loves this tasty recipe! They are constantly asking me to make it. The flavors together make a delious dish!
Next time we are only going to use 1 tortilla on the bottom, it was too thick to try and fork-cut it. Super Nummy.
Took awhile to make but it was really good. I used ground turkey and it still tasted great!
Not liking beans I used wild rice and made a couple other minor changes based on what was in my cupboards. My family loved it overall and I think it will be a keeper.
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Casseroles >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Cinco de Mayo Dinners >
- Cinco de Mayo Recipes >
- Corn Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Ground Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Hamburger Casserole >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >