Light Mexican Casserole Recipe
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef (95% lean)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon hot chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (16 ounces) refried beans
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 4 whole wheat tortillas (8 inches)
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Shredded lettuce and chopped tomatoes, optional
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet, cook the beef, onion and green pepper over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Stir in the water, flour, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, coriander and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until thickened.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine beans and salsa. Place two tortillas in a round 2-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with half of the beef mixture, bean mixture and corn; repeat layers. Top with cheese.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through and cheese is melted. Let stand for 5 minutes before cutting. Serve with lettuce and tomatoes if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 piece (calculated without lettuce and tomatoes) equals 367 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 64 mg cholesterol, 657 mg sodium, 39 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 26 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 fat.