Light Eggs Benedict Recipe
- 8 slices Canadian bacon
- 8 eggs
- HOLLANDAISE SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter-flavored sprinkles
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 4 whole wheat English muffins, split and toasted
- 1. In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, brown bacon on both sides; remove and keep warm.
- 2. Place 2-3 in. of water in a large skillet with high sides. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer gently. Break cold eggs, one at a time, into a custard cup or saucer; holding the cup close to the surface of the water, slip each egg into water. Cook, uncovered, until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard, about 4 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the flour, salt, mustard and cayenne. Gradually stir in milk and evaporated milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat.
- 4. Stir a small amount of sauce into egg yolk; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in butter-flavored sprinkles and lemon juice.
- 5. With a slotted spoon, lift each egg out of the water. Top each muffin half with a slice of bacon, an egg and 2 tablespoons sauce. Serve immediately. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving equals 216 calories, 8 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 252 mg cholesterol, 752 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 17 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 medium-fat meat, 1 starch.