For an elegant ending to the meal, impress guests with this gorgeous guilt-free torte. “The chocolate cake by itself is truly wonderful, but the light, creamy raspberry filling really makes it special,” says Sharon Kurtz, of Emmaus, Pennsylvania.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- Fresh raspberries, mint sprigs and additional confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, water, buttermilk, eggs, applesauce, oil and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended.
- Transfer to two 9-in. round baking pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and jam until blended. Split each cake into two horizontal layers. Place a bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with a third of the filling. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining cake layer. Garnish with raspberries, mint and additional confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 16 servings.
Originally published as Chocolate Raspberry Torte in Healthy Cooking April/May 2009, p28
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Light Chocolate Torte with Raspberry Filling
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review