- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup seedless raspberry jam
- Fresh raspberries, mint sprigs and additional confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, water, buttermilk, eggs, applesauce, oil and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, salt and baking soda; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended.
- Transfer to two 9-in. round baking pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and jam until blended. Split each cake into two horizontal layers. Place a bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with a third of the filling. Repeat layers twice. Top with remaining cake layer. Garnish with raspberries, mint and additional confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 16 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Light Chocolate Torte with Raspberry Filling
"SUPER delicious cake!!! definitely had to DOUBLE the cream. I'll be making this again!"
"I made this cake and did substitute Splenda for the sugar and it worked great !! Everyone loved the cake and the one thing I really liked about this cake was that even stored for 3 days this cake was very moist and delicious. I agree that there isn't as much filling as the picture shows but if you are doubling the filling recipe you are adding a lot of extra fat and calories to it which I don't want to add. I would definitely make this cake again !!"
"Very very good and beautiful as well. I made it in a sheet cake pan, then cut into four pieces and stacked. Doubled the filling but had some left over. Served it topped with fresh raspberries macerated in whipped cream flavored vodka, with a squirt of whipped cream on top of that. Magnificent!"
"I will make this cake, but use Splenda instead of sugar. I substitute this for sugar in all of my baking and have not had a problem yet."
"I haven't made this...it sounds great, but 2c. sugar doesn't sound "guilt-free" to me. I would be interested to know how many grams per serving."