Light Chocolate Cake Recipe
Applesauce makes this cake moist and sweet. A dusting of confectioners' sugar over the top is all that's needed.—Celeste Clarke, Wilmot, New Hampshire
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling YIELD:20 servings
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup egg substitute (equivalent to 2 eggs)
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
- Confectioners' sugar, optional
- 1. In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients. Beat in egg substitute, milk, applesauce and vanilla. Add water; beat on medium for 2 minutes (batter will be very thin).
- 2. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool. Lightly dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Yield: 20 servings.
One serving equals 139 calories, 1 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 174 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC