Light Carrot Cake Recipe
Allspice and cinnamon give wonderful flavor to this appealing cake from Ruth Hastings of Louisville, Illinois. "It's so moist and delicious that it doesn't taste like it's good for you," she says.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup orange juice concentrate
- 3 egg whites
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the first four ingredients; beat for 30 seconds. Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, allspice, baking soda and salt; add to the orange juice mixture and mix well. Stir in carrots.
- 2. Pour into an 8-in. square baking pan that has been coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool; dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 9 servings.
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals 196 calories, 145 mg sodium, 0 cholesterol, 29 gm carbohydrate, 3 gm protein, 8 gm fat. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 fat.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC