- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/3 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3-1/4 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped mixed candied fruit
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- ORANGE GLAZE:
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 4 to 6 tablespoons orange juice
- Red and green candied cherries
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, butter, sugar, eggs, salt, spices and 2 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a firm dough (do not knead). Cover and let rise in a warm place for 20 minutes.
- Stir dough down. Stir in fruit, raisins, nuts and orange peel. Transfer to a greased 10-in. fluted tube pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Bake at 375° for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For glaze, in a bowl, combine sugar, orange peel and enough orange juice to achieve drizzling consistency; spoon over cake. Decorate with cherries. Yield: 14-16 servings.
Originally published as Light Candied Fruitcake in Country Woman November/December 2001, p40
Reviews for Light Candied Fruitcake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review