Light Black Forest Dessert Recipe
Applesauce is used to keep this light version of Black Forest Cake healthy. Now, even people who are on a diet can enjoy a slice of rich chocolate cake! —Nancy Zimmerman, Cape May Court House, New Jersey
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling YIELD:24 servings
- 2 cups cherry juice blend
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups cold fat-free milk
- 1 package (1.4 ounces) sugar-free instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 can (20 ounces) reduced-sugar cherry pie filling
- 1-1/2 cups frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the cherry juice, sugar, applesauce, oil, eggs, vinegar and vanilla until well blended.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into cherry juice mixture until blended.
- 3. Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 4. In a small bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Frost top of cake with pudding. Cover and refrigerate for 15 minutes. Top with pie filling. Chill until serving. Serve with whipped topping. Yield: 24 servings.
1 piece with 1 tablespoon whipped topping equals 186 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 18 mg cholesterol, 272 mg sodium, 36 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC