Light and Lemony Poppy Seed Bread Recipe
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup melted butter or vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, oat bran, poppy seeds, baking powder and salt.
- 3. In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, butter, egg, lemon juice and lemon zest. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix just until dry ingredients are moistened. Spread batter in prepared pan. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until loaf is light golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center of loaf comes out clean.
- 4. Cool loaf in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove loaf from pan and cool completely on rack. Cover with plastic wrap and store at room temperature or in the refrigerator. Yield: Makes 1 loaf, 12 slices.
Per slice: 161 calories, 5.3 g total fat (2.8 g saturated fat), 4 g protein, 27 g carbohydrate, 1.1 g fiber, 30 mg cholesterol, 197 mg sodium
Reviews for Light and Lemony Poppy Seed Bread
"I make this bread all the time, it's a favorite in my house and doesn't last long. The only thing I do differently is to substitute more flour for the oats."
"I made this as the recipe stated and found it to be on the dry side and not much lemon flavor. Sorry, would not make again."
"We love this recipe because it's light and delicious."
"Love this bread! The combination of lemon and poppy seeds is wonderful! To make it slightly healthier, I used a scant 3/4 c. turbinado sugar and substituted 1/8 c. vegetable oil and 1/8 c. applesauce in lieu of 1/4 c. melted butter or oil. I baked longer for 45 minutes. Still moist and so good!"
"Excellent bread with great citrus flavor!"
"also i forgot that i used instead on of just one or the other for butter or oil i used 1/8 of each."
"this recipe is great, i used regular oats in stead of oat bran. it was so moist and yummy, every one loved it. also a good topper to the bread is a lemon glave made of a half of lemon and about 3 tbsp of powdered suger."
"I have made this 4 times now and it is wonderful! The last time I made it, I reduced the white sugar, added a little brown sugar, and upped the lemon just a touch. Its great as is though. I love to have a slice with my tea for breakfast."
"I made the recipe exactly as stated and it came out wonderful. I use organic lemons, which tend to have more lemon flavor. I liked the dense texture of this bread as it seemed to be more filling than most lemon poppy seed breads."
"Although this looked scrumptious, it had no lemon flavor. I even made a glaze to try and save it's flavor without success."
"I substituted apple sause for the butter to make it lower in fat, but then I used butter with lemon zest on top!"
"This is alright. Wouldn't make it again though...if I DID, then I would definitely add some sugar...not sweet at all. Tastes like like lemon bread only not sweet at all. Is kind of dense too."