- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 cup melted butter or vegetable oil
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, oat bran, poppy seeds, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together milk, butter, egg, lemon juice and lemon zest. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix just until dry ingredients are moistened. Spread batter in prepared pan. Bake for about 40 minutes, or until loaf is light golden brown and a toothpick inserted in center of loaf comes out clean.
- Cool loaf in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove loaf from pan and cool completely on rack. Cover with plastic wrap and store at room temperature or in the refrigerator. Yield: Makes 1 loaf, 12 slices.
Reviews for Light and Lemony Poppy Seed Bread(11)
Sort By :
I made this as the recipe stated and found it to be on the dry side and not much lemon flavor. Sorry, would not make again.
We love this recipe because it's light and delicious.
Love this bread! The combination of lemon and poppy seeds is wonderful! To make it slightly healthier, I used a scant 3/4 c. turbinado sugar and substituted 1/8 c. vegetable oil and 1/8 c. applesauce in lieu of 1/4 c. melted butter or oil. I baked longer for 45 minutes. Still moist and so good!
Excellent bread with great citrus flavor!
also i forgot that i used instead on of just one or the other for butter or oil i used 1/8 of each.