Licorice Caramels Recipe
Fans of black licorice won't be able to stop eating these gooey caramels. I appreciate their ease of preparation. —Donna Higbee, Riverton, Utah
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 cup butter, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups light corn syrup
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons anise extract
- 1/4 teaspoon black food coloring
- 1. Line an 8-in.-square dish with foil; grease foil with 1 teaspoon butter.
- 2. In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup, milk, salt and remaining butter; cook and stir over medium until a candy thermometer reads 244° (firm-ball stage).
- 3. Remove from the heat; stir in extract and food coloring. Immediately pour into prepared pan (do not scrape saucepan). Let stand until firm.
- 4. Using foil, lift candy out of pan; remove foil. Using a buttered knife, cut into 1/4-in. strips. Cut each strip in half lengthwise; cut crosswise into three pieces. Wrap individually in waxed paper; twist ends. Yield: about 12 dozen.
1 piece equals 92 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 65 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 1 g protein.
Reviews for Licorice Caramels
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC