Fans of black licorice won't be able to stop eating these gooey caramels. I appreciate their ease of preparation.
Donna Higbee, Riverton, Utah
64 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 cup butter, divided
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups light corn syrup
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons anise extract
- 1/4 teaspoon black food coloring
- Line an 8-in. square dish with heavy-duty foil; butter foil with 1
- teaspoon butter. Set aside. In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar,
- corn syrup, milk, remaining butter and salt; bring to a boil over
- medium heat. Cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 244°
- (firm-ball stage).
- Remove from the heat; stir in extract and food coloring. Pour into
- prepared pan (do not scrape saucepan). Cool completely before
- cutting. Lift foil and candy out of pan; remove foil. Cut into 1-in.
- squares; wrap each in waxed paper. Yield: about 5 dozen.
Nutritional Facts: 1 piece equals 92 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 65 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 1 g protein.