Licorice Caramel Candy
These delicious treats are a fun cross between caramels and licorice. I always get compliments on them, especially from those who enjoy black licorice. — Paula Fischer, Rapid City, South Dakota
48 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1-1/3 cups light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons anise extract
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red paste food coloring
- Line an 8-in. square pan with foil. Grease the foil with 1-1/2
- teaspoons butter; set aside.
- In a heavy Dutch oven, combine the sugar, 1-1/2 cups cream and corn
- syrup. Bring to a boil over medium heat; stirring constantly. Cook
- and stir until a candy thermometer reads 234° (soft-ball stage).
- Gradually add remaining cream; return to a boil, stirring
- constantly, until a candy thermometer reads 248° (firm-ball
- Remove from the heat; stir in extract and food coloring. Pour into
- prepared pan (do not scrape pan). Cool completely before cutting.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield: about 1
- pound (about 4 dozen).