Licorice Caramel Candy Recipe
These delicious treats are a fun cross between caramels and licorice. I always get compliments on them, especially from those who enjoy black licorice. — Paula Fischer, Rapid City, South Dakota
- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1-1/3 cups light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons anise extract
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red paste food coloring
- 1. Line an 8-in. square pan with foil. Grease the foil with 1-1/2 teaspoons butter; set aside.
- 2. In a heavy Dutch oven, combine the sugar, 1-1/2 cups cream and corn syrup. Bring to a boil over medium heat; stirring constantly. Cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 234° (soft-ball stage). Gradually add remaining cream; return to a boil, stirring constantly, until a candy thermometer reads 248° (firm-ball stage).
- 3. Remove from the heat; stir in extract and food coloring. Pour into prepared pan (do not scrape pan). Cool completely before cutting. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield: about 1 pound (about 4 dozen).
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC