- 1-1/2 teaspoons butter
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1-1/3 cups light corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons anise extract
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red paste food coloring
- Line an 8-in. square pan with foil. Grease the foil with 1-1/2 teaspoons butter; set aside.
- In a heavy Dutch oven, combine the sugar, 1-1/2 cups cream and corn syrup. Bring to a boil over medium heat; stirring constantly. Cook and stir until a candy thermometer reads 234° (soft-ball stage). Gradually add remaining cream; return to a boil, stirring constantly, until a candy thermometer reads 248° (firm-ball stage).
- Remove from the heat; stir in extract and food coloring. Pour into prepared pan (do not scrape pan). Cool completely before cutting. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Yield: about 1 pound (about 4 dozen).
Originally published as Licorice Caramel Candy in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2001, p38
Reviews for Licorice Caramel Candy
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Apr. 8, 2012
These are wonderful. I made a lot of them for a party and they were a hit. I wrapped each one in waxed paper which was time consuming, but they are worth it.