“Everyone loves hummus, but I enjoy the garlic and onion types so much that I decided to let them shine in this homemade version. I get so many compliments when I serve it!”—Sarah Gilbert, Beaverton, Oregon
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup plus 1/3 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Baked pita chips or assorted fresh vegetables
- In a large skillet, saute onions in 1/4 cup oil until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until deep golden brown.
- Transfer to a food processor; add the beans, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, salt, pepper and remaining oil. Cover and process for 30 seconds or until smooth. Serve with chips. Yield: 2-1/2 cups.
Originally published as Lick-the-Bowl-Clean Hummus in Taste of Home February/March 2011, p69
Reviews for Lick-the-Bowl-Clean Hummus
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review