- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup plus 1/3 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Baked pita chips or assorted fresh vegetables
- In a large skillet, saute onions in 1/4 cup oil until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until deep golden brown.
- Transfer to a food processor; add the beans, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, salt, pepper and remaining oil. Cover and process for 30 seconds or until smooth. Serve with chips. Yield: 2-1/2 cups.
Reviews for Lick-the-Bowl-Clean Hummus
Sort By :
"This was really good. I did have to make some adjustments because of what I had. My Tahini Sauce from Trader Joes already had garlic and lemon juice, so I used that and added less garlic . I added sesame oil to get that tahini taste. And since I only had 1 onion, that's all I could do. I also found myself adding some cumin to add a depth of flavor without the cumin taste - my mom hates cumin and she couldn't taste it, but it added that something special flavor. And make sure your beans are soft going into the processor. If they don't mush in your mouth easily, it won't be smooth. So just cook them until soft."
"So so so good. Follow the recipe exactly it's worth it!"
"other then not using tahini oil (dont know what it was) made it the way it was said and loved it! if you like garlic and onion then you'll love this!!"
"I would add more garlic."
"Best hummus EVER! Friends who don't typically like hummus ask for the recipe. You really don't need the entire 1/3 c. oil when processing. I replace the tahini with 1/4 c. fat-free greek yogurt. You will seriously lick the bowl clean! -Lesleigh Baden"