“Everyone loves hummus, but I enjoy the garlic and onion types so much that I decided to let them shine in this homemade version. I get so many compliments when I serve it!”—Sarah Gilbert, Beaverton, Oregon
10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup plus 1/3 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Baked pita chips or assorted fresh vegetables
- In a large skillet, saute onions in 1/4 cup oil until softened.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 30
- minutes or until deep golden brown.
- Transfer to a food processor; add the beans, lemon juice, tahini,
- garlic, salt, pepper and remaining oil. Cover and process for 30
- seconds or until smooth. Serve with chips. Yield: 2-1/2 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1/4 cup (calculated without chips and vegetables) equals 218 calories, 17 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 91 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein.