Lick-the-Bowl-Clean Hummus Recipe
“Everyone loves hummus, but I enjoy the garlic and onion types so much that I decided to let them shine in this homemade version. I get so many compliments when I serve it!”—Sarah Gilbert, Beaverton, Oregon
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 35 min. YIELD:10 servings
- 2 large sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup plus 1/3 cup olive oil, divided
- 1 can (15 ounces) garbanzo beans or chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Baked pita chips or assorted fresh vegetables
- 1. In a large skillet, saute onions in 1/4 cup oil until softened. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes or until deep golden brown.
- 2. Transfer to a food processor; add the beans, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, salt, pepper and remaining oil. Cover and process for 30 seconds or until smooth. Serve with chips. Yield: 2-1/2 cups.
1/4 cup (calculated without chips and vegetables) equals 218 calories, 17 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 91 mg sodium, 14 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC