Lentil White Bean Pilaf Recipe
Vegetarians will be happy to see this hearty meatless grain pilaf on the holiday buffet table. I like to make this when I have extra cooked lentils, barley, quinoa and rice on hand. —Juli Meyers, Hinesville, Georgia
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 35 min. Cook: 15 min. YIELD:10 servings
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 3 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups canned white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1. Cook the lentils, barley, quinoa and rice according to package directions; set aside.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, saute the mushrooms, carrots, celery and onion in butter until tender. Add garlic and rosemary; cook 1 minute longer. Add broth, salt and pepper, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in beans and the cooked lentils, barley, quinoa and rice; heat through. Yield: 10 servings.
3/4 cup equals 259 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 12 mg cholesterol, 290 mg sodium, 41 g carbohydrate, 11 g fiber, 11 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC