Lentil White Bean Pilaf Recipe
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 3 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups canned white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1. Cook the lentils, barley, quinoa and rice according to package directions; set aside.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, saute the mushrooms, carrots, celery and onion in butter until tender. Add garlic and rosemary; cook 1 minute longer. Add broth, salt and pepper, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in beans and the cooked lentils, barley, quinoa and rice; heat through. Yield: 10 servings.
3/4 cup: 259 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 290mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 11g fiber), 11g protein
Reviews for Lentil White Bean Pilaf
"I prepared this recipe using Minute Multi-grain Pilaf and the barley. I used canned lentils as well as canned white beans. I substituted chicken broth and reconstituted some shiitake mushrooms since I did not have fresh. This is an excellent recipe! We had it as a side to grilled swordfish. It is savory and colorful. Thank you, Juli for submitting this recipe. It's a keeper!"
"I just made this tonight and it is delicious! I used brown rice instead of the long grain white rice and Earth Balance instead of the butter. I didn't get any "browned bits" in the pan using the Earth Balance but it didn't matter to me. Very tasty, filling and it makes a lot!"