Lentil White Bean Pilaf Recipe
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1/3 cup uncooked long grain rice
- 1/2 pound sliced baby portobello mushrooms
- 3 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary or 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups canned white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1. Cook the lentils, barley, quinoa and rice according to package directions; set aside.
- 2. In a Dutch oven, saute the mushrooms, carrots, celery and onion in butter until tender. Add garlic and rosemary; cook 1 minute longer. Add broth, salt and pepper, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in beans and the cooked lentils, barley, quinoa and rice; heat through. Yield: 10 servings.
3/4 cup: 259 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 290mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 11g fiber), 11g protein .
Reviews for Lentil White Bean Pilaf
"I prepared this recipe using Minute Multi-grain Pilaf and the barley. I used canned lentils as well as canned white beans. I substituted chicken broth and reconstituted some shiitake mushrooms since I did not have fresh. This is an excellent recipe! We had it as a side to grilled swordfish. It is savory and colorful. Thank you, Juli for submitting this recipe. It's a keeper!"
"I just made this tonight and it is delicious! I used brown rice instead of the long grain white rice and Earth Balance instead of the butter. I didn't get any "browned bits" in the pan using the Earth Balance but it didn't matter to me. Very tasty, filling and it makes a lot!"