- 2 cups dried lentils, rinsed
- 3/4 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (48 ounces) tomato or vegetable juice
- 4 cups water
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 medium zucchini, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- Salt to taste
- In a 6-qt. Dutch oven or soup kettle, combine first 15 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45-60 minutes or until rice and lentils are tender. Add additional water or tomato juice if necessary.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and cook until vegetables are tender, about 45 minutes. Yield: 5 quarts.
Originally published as Lentil Vegetable Stew in Country Woman January/February 1992, p38
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Lentil Vegetable Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review