Lentil Vegetable Soup
"Here is one good-for-you dish that our kids really enjoy," Joy Maynard writes from St. Ignatius, Montana. Serve this tasty soup as a hearty meatless entree...or pair it with a favorite sandwich.
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 65 min.
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) vegetable broth
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1/2 cup uncooked long grain brown rice
- 1/2 cup tomato juice
- 1 can (5-1/2 ounces) spicy hot V8 juice
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 medium potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium tomato, cubed
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 1 celery rib, sliced
- In a large saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add the potato, tomato, carrot and celery; cover and simmer 30
- minutes longer or until rice and vegetables are tender. Yield: 6
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1 cup) equals 195 calories, 4 g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 1,144 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 9 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 1 vegetable,