“This is one of those suppers you can start when you get home, then relax while it cooks. (Or help the kids with homework or hop on the stair-stepper.)” Apple and brown sugar help sweeten this delicious meatless meal. —Trisha Kruse, Eagle, Idaho
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 3 cups water, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 4 teaspoons curry powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 3 cups hot cooked brown rice
- In a small saucepan, combine lentils and 2 cups water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add carrots and garlic; cook 2 minutes longer. Stir in the sweet potatoes, curry, salt, pepper and remaining water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, apple and brown sugar; cover and cook 10-15 minutes longer or until apple is tender. Stir in lentils; heat through. Serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Lentil Sweet Potato Curry in Healthy Cooking February/March 2011, p53
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Lentil Sweet Potato Curry
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review