This hearty stew is a favorite with our family, along with a basket of homemade breadsticks. Since lentils don't require the long soaking time that dried beans do, you can begin making this dish just an hour before supper—not the night before!—Carol Wolfer, Lebanon, Oregon
6 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 50 min.
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1/2 pound ground turkey or beef, cooked and drained
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- In a large saucepan, bring the lentils, water and bouillon to a boil.
- Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients. Return to a boil; reduce heat and
- simmer 20-30 minutes longer or until lentils and vegetables are
- tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 200 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 628 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 11 g fiber, 17 g protein.
Wine: Light-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a